Genode on Intel hybrid CPUs

Is Genode supported on current Intel hybrid CPUs such as Intel® Core™ i9-13900H? And if so, how would you configure which components run where, i.e. on performance vs. efficiency cores? Or perhaps it would be a matter of starting with a minimal setup which targets all and benchmarks them to find out how they are enumerated.

I’m looking in particular at a Minisforum MS-01 system, and also wondering if its Intel X710, I226-LM and I226-V NICs would be supported.

The generation of CPU is supported, yes.

Regarding CPU configuration and detection check out Genode - Release notes for the Genode OS Framework 23.02 and Genode - Release notes for the Genode OS Framework 13.08 for details or read the chapter in the Genode foundation book.

On Sculpt OS you get also an interactive menu, e.g. Genode - Sculpt Operating System 26.04, for configuration.

Those devices are currently not supported by our Linux-based NIC driver, which addresses Intel 1GB adapters like i219-LM mostly (intel/e1000 and intel/e1000e drivers). I226 requires intel/igc and X710 intel/i40e to added to the port.

@alex-ab Thanks for the links, appreciated.

On Sculpt OS you get also an interactive menu.

My use case is running the Hercules mainframe emulator on top of NOVA.

@chelmuth Thanks for the clarification. Are there any plans to support such adapters and is it non-trivial to add support for new ones? I guess I could start out with USB attached NICs.

Currently, we do not plan to enable more devices. I could imagine that igc could be enabled with medium effort but experience tells their could be surprises.

So, falling back to USB NICs is a good start.

Good to know and that’s a shame. I was hoping to take advantage of their IEEE 1588 PTP support. I doubt there will be any USB NICs with this due to latency/jitter.

What about PCIe NICs?

SFF PCs only tend to have one slot and I’d like to use this with something else.

I am not sure if the dimensions/casing on the MS-01 will allow this, but you could use an M.2 to PCIe/Oculink adapter.