Tips and tricks

Share your tips on Genode system composition, hints on SculptOS features which are not obvious or easily discoverable, or anything that suits your fancy.

I’ll start with my finding about Falkon’s runtime being limited to 2 GiB RAM and where to change that:

After installing Falkon, one may edit…

depot/cproc/pkg/falkon-jemalloc/…date…/runtime (change 2GB to 16G) and
raw/falkon-jemalloc/…date…/init.config (change 1990M to 15990M)

Before the change, I could easily make Falkon run into a RAM resource request.
After the change, so long as I run on the one of my laptops that has 16 GiB RAM, I’m unable to make Falkon run out of RAM.

EDIT: of course, once Falkon is launched with that config, it will eat up the remainder of your RAM (up to 16 GB at least) and prevent more runtime launches, by opposed to the base configuration. In my case that’s the desired behavior but YMMV.

1 Like

In the window-manager or web-browser preset, one can switch between virtual desktops using [Super]+[1], [Super]+[2], [Super]+[3], etc.

New windows always appear at the first virtual desktop. To move a window to a different one, use the system shell to edit /rw/recall/window_layouter/recall/rules. Look out for the <assign> rule for the window, and change the target attribute to another screen, e.g., "screen_2".

BTW, by editing the rules file, you can do further window manipulations.

• Changing the order to <assign> rules to change the window-stacking order.
  • Move or resize a window by changing the corresponding xpos, ypos, width, and height attributes.
  • Maximize/un-maximize a window by setting the maximized attribute to "yes" or "no".

As the rules file is a regular file, you can make a backup of your current window layout by copying the file, and switch between different layouts by overwriting the rules file by a different version.

1 Like

This one is a real gem! :gem: I have used this one extensively since you mentioned it on the ML.

In my case, I run about 5 VMs at once, and using this technique, I assign them each to a different “screen”. Then I can switch between them using the Super key combos, which don’t conflict with the virtual screen key combos in the Linux guest. Very clean!

1 Like