Which hardware (ARM64) would you like to see Genode on?

This is a wish list for new ports! I and probably no one will make any promises, but it is better to port to hardware someone is using!

1 Like

I start: I have a Pinebook Pro that I have started porting to.

2 Likes

When the dust settles on my current projects in the future, I would be interested in running some sort of “home server” to serve files and (much) more for me & family. I would be happy to hack away, write custom servers and configurations for it, so long as it runs Genode (what else!). Trouble is I’m not familiar with the SoC world (Rasp. Pi, ImX8 iMX and such), nor with the home-server world itself in fact. So that’s a distant project for now, floating in the back of my mind… “purchase a SoC that supports Genode well, costs less than $100, has ethernet and wifi, and set it up as my home server”.

2 Likes

I have an RPi 4 (2GB) which is currently sitting idle, but would definitely come to life if Genode ran on it! :smiley:

1 Like

Very impressive!

Not to stray too far from the topic, but I just noticed your Genodians article (Genode and RISC OS demo) about your RISC OS port. Between you and ttcoder, we have a lot of alternative-OS-on-Genode firepower here!

1 Like

Haha! I guess you are right :slight_smile:

And yes… doing Genode for Pi4/5 would be great, because they are cheap and many already has them. Only problem for me is that I never dealt with rPIs.

1 Like

I ordered a Pi5 now, collecting it tomorrow!

1 Like

Got the Pi5 now! Building the Genode toolchain! Not the fastest build … but it is probably a lot of wait for io. I have ordered a nvme adapter…
Doing with sdcard now.

1 Like

I will definitely have a look on bare metal programming for this board. Even though I might need to buy one for that, I want to use this for desktop :slight_smile:
The dream of a x86 free desk is getting closer …! Mac ( arm ) Titanium (arm) Pinebook Pro (arm) and now Pi5 (arm).

Anyway ( back to topic) I will finish Pinebook Pro … but after that I am open for suggestions.

1 Like

Go fork!

2 Likes

You did some work with the trust zone, and a buildable Genode OS, for the USB Armory MKI.

For the USB Armory MKII, I’d like to see a precompiled Sculpt image that can be flashed to a microSD card, bootable, and connectable via a displaylink adapter to a monitor & keyboard for standalone operation. Because it would be cool for such a mini computer dongle to have an equally small-sized fully-fledged desktop OS - with productive apps like a browser and text editor. So a user could make use of its security attributes, without being confined to just using the CLI, as with its normal operation.

This made me curious. However, according to the crowdsupply page, the USB-C port is USB 2.0 (no video).

Speaking of hardware that I’d wish to use for Genode, I immediately think of the RCORE processor module for the MNT Reform and Pocket Reform laptops. Even though the laptops used to be pre-equipped with i.MX8, this SoC option is no longer available when ordering now. So I guess that Rockchip SoCs will become the option of choice when looking down the road.

1 Like

It will be interesting to se how my code works on RCORE. But right now , it doesn’t work at all if I disable the mmu. I would be most happy if someone can try the port. Perhaps try booting it as a uImage since bootm does some parts that I don’t. I have never got bootm to work with Genode , :frowning:

1 Like

Rockchip SocS are currently the best option available , I think. I can do work on Reform if someone want to donate one. I have a policy, and that is not buying hardware for developing software that others can make profit of. I did a quick RISC OS bring up on the Reform with i.MX8, and that was a bad experience. So to say hunting shadows.

1 Like

Let me daydream a while, but the new Remarkable Paper Pro colour e-reader (which, to be fair uses a similar NXP iMX8 Mini processor to the MNT Reform) would push genode into a whole new format than even the pinephone. Note that Remarkable has been very amenable to owners hacking its devices compared to the normal “big tech” establishment and there is quite a custom scene around the device.

1 Like

Seems you have to shell out $500 for one, but despite that I feel the concept super intriguing. (we need a “geek lust” emoji or something ^^). Thanks for the reminder that such “e-paper” working tablets exist. Prices might go down in the coming years, will keep watching.

2 Likes

I share that daydream! :slight_smile: I have waited for a decent open-source color e-paper tablet for a long time.

Thanks for the reminder about reMarkable. I have looked at their earlier models in the past, but didn’t notice the “Paper Pro” - that one looks very promising. I will have to save up for it, but I will keep an eye on it!

1 Like

get genode with sel4 working on raspi5, and I’ll show you an evolution in computing.